Friday, August 24, 2012

OREGON!!!!!! 8/22-23

So I awoke four miles from the Oregon border this morning and was very excited to finally be through with California, 1700 miles of California to be exact. When I approached the border Indiana Toad, Chocolate Chipmunk, and Diesel were hanging around celebrating. All of us missed the midway point of the trail due to the Chips Fire so this was our big milestone. The trail register had half a mini bottle if wine in it and other celebratory things people left there. I hiked in a small bottle of whisky for the occasion and swigs were taken. I, for one, am looking forward to Oregon and Washington and a change of scenery from the dry Californian climate. Today when we all woke up it was pretty cool out and a chilly wind gust hung around all day. It's as if we entered Oregon and it immediately stopped being oppressively hot out. The rest of the day Spins and I pushed to get to Ashland for the night. Late in the evening we caught a ride with a really nice couple who were out walking on the trail as the sun was setting.

The next day I spent organizing gear and picking up a few things at the outfitter. Also, Oregon doesn't pass through as many towns so I had to send a resupply box up a hundred miles to myself to make it to Bend. The plan is to bang out 260 miles fairly quickly. We'll see how that work out!! I heard the trail in Oregon is more gradual and nicer terrain so it's time to put it to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment