Monday, August 27, 2012

On the Trail Again - Mile 1745 - 8/26

After spending an additional two days in Ashland working out package issues, it's back to hiking. I had to work out where my tent package was/when it will arrive in Ashland and I also sent a resupply box to myself around Crater Lake for the 160 mile stretch up to Bend, OR.

After not hiking for three days going back into the woods feels much more appreciated. Being in town around cars, the interstate, television and other loud things distracts you so much and when you hike out into the woods it's quite and calmer. Once I got to walking my stress of town issues went away instantly. I got out of town after eating a hearty breakfast at a cafe and started walking around 11:30-12. The hike was pretty mellow and my pack didn't feel as heavy as it really is. Oregon has felt different than California, it may just be mental but the breeze feels cooler, the landscape seems slightly different and the uphill don't seem as laborious. On the AT entering a new state was pretty frequent (14 states total!) and each state had a unique feature that made it different from the others. Oregon is shifting into the forest and woods. California was soo long it had many changes within itself but the last section was a dry hot and desert-like forest. There is floor vegetation and trees in every direction so far in Oregon and being around green things and in the woods is what I like best, so far so good.
The last seven miles of the day were waterless (12 mile waterless section) so I had to carry a full resupply and four liters of water which was a good bit of weight for the knees an shoulders. It went by pretty quickly and I'm hoping to get up early and get a full day in and get back to the swing of things. I'm excited to hike around Crater Lake in the coming days. The lake should be quite a breathtaking experience and I should have plenty of pictures assuming the next wildfire ahead isn't to smoky. The past day in town and today have both been a bit hazy so hopefully that clears up. It's been a while since I've been far enough from a wildfire that it's completely clear in the distance. Maybe tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment