Friday, July 12, 2013

Day 21 - High and Dry

July 9th
15 Miles
Couple miles past Flesher Pass

Kevin from the Three Bears Motel drove Steve, Spins, and myself back up to Rogers Pass this morning but not before I had a stellar breakfast in town. Lambkins' breakfast menu had one thing on my eye, cinnamon roll French toast. Now I assumed it was going to just be cinnamon swirl bread made into French toast so my expectations were low but they surprised me when they brought out heapingly yeasty cinnamon roll chunks of French toast. It looked delicious and tasted even better. It was up there easily in my top three trail breakfasts of all time. Quite possibly the highlight of my day.

Up at the pass Steve took off and Spins and I slowly made our way back uphill into the divide. Halfway up I realized the two liters of water I brought would not be enough. There was no water for the next 12 miles...Oh well at least it's not like the desert heat on the PCT and over 20 miles waterless, I've dealt with worse. I'm getting really comfortable with hiking up on the divide and find it breathtakingly spectacular to have 360 degree panoramic views constantly. It's also nice to be able to see where the trail is going up ahead and what you have already hiked behind you. The only downside is that up here there is no water. None. Nadda. 

After a quite thirsty 12 miles to Flesher Pass I now had to walk a half mile off trail along the highway to the only water source for the next 10 miles. Additionally there is a 14ish mile waterless stretch after that go figure. I got water for Spins and I, hauling ten liters back to the pass and we ate dinner and relaxed a bit. After dinner we put in a few more miles and I was able to catch the sunset while hanging my food up. About two days and change till Helena and more beautiful hiking up on the divide in high and dry country.


    A windblown literally flat with the ground tree up on the divide pretty cool



No comments:

Post a Comment