Monday, October 1, 2012

Foggy Cold Damp and Foggy - Mile 2374.6 - 9/29

So you can tell how the day will turn out in Washington the second you wake up. If there is a misty fog around in the morning the weather is going to suck. It was misty this morning.

With the mist comes droplets of rain off the trees and pretty freaking cold winds. It stayed like this until around two in the afternoon. But in the morning about five miles in I got to a cabin/shelter where a bunch of drunken 30 something year old guy were waking up a little rough around the edges. They hooked me up with a bratwurst and chili which really hit the spot being so cold. Afterward I passed another group of car campers and the clouds broke into logging country. The underbrush though gave beautifully vivid autumnal reds, yellows, and oranges. Then a ear shattering plane flew low over which happened to to a fighter jet. Not only did it scare the shit out of me but it left my ears ringing. Then another flew over again. The test of the day was windy and I hiked up in and through a few clouds. Coming down Blowback mountain the pass gave a cool show of clouds blowing through it an spinning down into the valley. Hiked into the night yet again and set up camp only to be hassled by a brave fearless mouse that did not realize or care that I could squish it at any instant. So I left a few crumbs out for him and he left me alone for some of the night. Luckily the elk were calling all over the place as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment