Thursday, July 12, 2012

Red's Meadow and Mammoth Lakes - Mile 906.6 - 7/9-12

So I hauled ass to Red's Meadow and arrived around three in the afternoon. The trail to there was recently declared passable. The windstorm from October wrecked this area and the result was more massive trees on the ground than still standing. Had it not been cleared by the awesome work of many crews it would have been a jungle gym nightmare for quite a few miles.

Red's Meadow has a general store, with some limited food and beer, and a 'restaurant'. I got some ice cream than hit the restaurant, my desire for a burger was so great that quality had no bearing on my decision to eat here. After looking at the menu and prices my logic and reasoning skills should have said Hell No! Not a chance 11.50 for a double cheeseburger! But I was way to hungry to give a shit. Goodbye money hello false sense of burger satisfaction. I was disappointed but full so mission accomplished.

Spins and I looked around and after our crap meal said screw camping here Mammoth here we come! We took the last bus down to town luckily so it was meant to be. I stuffed my face with as much food as my body would allow while in town and also got a few other things I needed. Mammoth is a wonderful ski-town with fantastic public transportation for such a small place. I thoroughly enjoyed this town but am leaving shortly back to the PCT to enter the Yosemite portion of the trail. I heard Yosemite mosquitoes are far worse than anything I have experienced thus far paired with the frequent bear issues there it should be a fun time. I'll update my blog when I get service next hopefully soon but it may not be for 100-200 miles so hang tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment