Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Glen Pass and Pinchot Pass - Mile 800 and 815.5 - 7/1-2

Got up late covered on condensation from Bullfrog Lake and got back on the PCT to go over Glen Pass. The pass was a rocky loose set of switchbacks. I met a girl out for a few days and chatted with her about this hike and the Appalachian Trail as well and she took my picture which is on here somewhere. I really enjoy the passes for the reason that it's a meeting place where people stop and relax. You get to meet and talk to people from all over and it's a wonderful part of this whole experience! I went down Glen Pass quickly until I was stopped by the beauty of Rae Lakes. The first thing to catch my eye was the cliffs that hung off down into deep enough water to jump in. I met a couple from Palm Springs doing the JMT, Matt and Kim. Matt was down to jump off the cliffs as well so we both jumped into the cold water. After that enjoyable break I trucked down the rest of the mountain to a suspension bridge with campsite where I slept that night.

In the morning it was uphill again to tackle Pinchot Pass. I followed a river up the valley and it was full of greenery and windflowers. The pass was a slight constant uphill so it wasn't a terribly difficult pass. Up at the pass I noticed a way up the the summit of the mountain to the left. So I left my pack down at the pass and climbed up to the top for the hell of it. It was a cool perspective to see the pass from above and looking at both sides of the pass. After going down I started back up until getting a mile before the top of Mather Pass. Going up towards Mather I followed a river as well and was similar to going up Pinchot. Camping up at 11,500 feet had a spectacular view and sunset but was going to be cold overnight being up that high.

No comments:

Post a Comment