Saturday, June 9, 2012

Windy Wind Farm - Mile 546.5 - 6/8

After crashing later in the night I was up early with the sun because I felt like it was going to be a scorcher. I continued to roadwalk for quite a while and the wind started to pick up which felt great because it deflected the heat from the sun. After a couple miles I made it to the water source by the bridge, which was a massive water tank full of water from the wonderful folks at Hikertown. After a snack I went under the bridge for some shade and took a nap to catch up on sleep from last nights nighthike.

When I woke up I started back on again and the wind continued to gain as I approached the massive and newly constructed wind farm. Let's just say it was really windy as an understatement, not blow you on the ground windy but blow you all over the place windy. Imagine having to walk around in 40-50mph winds. Now imagine to do so with a huge heavy object on your back. My center of gravity was screwed.

The wind farm itself was really wonderful to walk through besides the wind though. The turbines stood motionless even though the wind was howling. Apparently they just finished the last turbines construction this week so they should be up an running very soon.

After the wind farm, it was all uphill back into the desert mountains off the floor of the Mojave. I spent a decent part of the day by the only water source until town tomorrow and continued to climb most of the way up the mountain before finding a great campspot on the other less windy ridgeline under a tree overlooking the wind farm and the Mojave floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment