Friday, June 1, 2012

The Saufley's - Mile 454.6 - 5/31

Hiked a VERY HOT ten miles to the Saufley's into the small town of Agua Dulce. The latter part of the hike wove through Vasquez Rocks which was an awesome display of tectonic movement with multiple plates of rock angled into the sky. Arriving at the Saufley's was like being welcomed home. The atmosphere is quite relaxed and welcoming with plenty of hikers hanging around and enjoying each others company which hasn't really occurred terribly much on the trail so far for a number of reasons that I don't feel like getting into. But here at Hiker Heaven its like family, real trail family and its fantastic. I got all cleaned up, had laundry done for me (so nice!), got nice town clothes to wear (wearing cotton never felt so great), and spent the rest of the day hanging around. Seeing all the hikers here reassured me that I am still in a decent bubble of hikers because when you're out on the trail sometimes you only run into a handful of people not realizing that there are a bunch of people a few miles ahead and behind. I'll be taking the first of June off at the Saufley's and try to plan what to do for my food situation as far as mailing ahead supplies for the Sierra Nevada's. Planning ahead is not something I really look forward to doing but a number of volunteers here are a wealth of information as far as resupply strategies are concerned for the weeks ahead because towns are more sparse and limited. In 24 miles there is another trail angels place, The Anderson's, which boasts another completely different experience enjoyable as well so I can't stay in heaven for too long.
Vasquez Rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment