Saturday, June 16, 2012

De-f'in-hydrated - Mile 596 - 6/14

Woke up relatively early with less than a half of a liter of water left for seven miles until the next water source. I didn't sleep terribly well for the first half of the night because I was cowboy camping an awoke to numerous stabbing sensations all over the place. Fire ants invaded all of my stuff they were in my sleeping bag, in my pack and biting my ass. I was pissed and set up my tent and proceeded to kill every ant on my sleeping bag and pad, then fell back asleep.

It was warm early and I was already dehydrated so te seven miles without water added to it. When I arrived at Golden Oaks Spring I heard the sound of angels in the background because that beautiful place had cold, plentiful spring water coming out into a wonderful basin. I drank until I damned near exploded. After a long break there I graves as much water as I could because there wasn't another water source for 19 more miles. I only had 13 more miles left for the day so I needed drinking and cooking water and water for the next morning and six miles. I HATE THE DESERT!

Towards the end of the day the terrain became more pine forested and enjoyable. I had to carry all that water up to the pine forest area and tell myself not to drink it all brcuase I didn't want to do the same thing I did this morning. Luckily my self control won and I had a liter of water left over for the morning. The ecosystem is starting to become less desert like and hopefully it stays that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment