Saturday, May 19, 2012

Splinter Cabin - Mile 298.3

Woke up this morning to freezing conditions so took it slow packing up camp. It was so cold this morning I had to bust the gloves out to get everything together. Left from camp around 6:30 and cruised for ten miles where I took a nice three hour ciesta from the sun. Got a nice nap, game of cards, and lunch in then headed out another six miles through a high desert ecosystem with a good mix of pine trees and cacti as well as plentiful boulders.  Being the weekend this section in the afternoon was super crowed with people out enjoying the desert backcountry from boy scouts to dirt bikes to off-roading there was all kinds of stuff going on around me. It was nice to follow a small river the last section of the day, it reminded me of hiking the AT; it was rocky shaded and you could hear water flowing which is something I'm not used to out here in the desert. All and all I ended the day crossing a huge bridge and am sleeping tonight at Splinters Cabin which is a gazebo, go figure but none the less it has trash cans and bathrooms so I get to enjoy the fine things in life for the night. 23 miles and change done for the day so I feel accomplished (and super sore!). Tonight feels like it will be warmer and there are hot springs to swim in tomorrow some of the best in California I'm told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment