Saturday, May 19, 2012

Big Bear - Mile 266

Camped twoish miles outside of the two towns of Big Bear City and Big Bear Lake last night. The temperature lows probably got down to 30 degrees not counting the strong gusts of wind all night. Needless to say it was cold and I have a head cold so the boogers were plenty and sleep was not. I woke up hiked two miles and got a hitch rather quickly into Big Bear City, the smaller of the two for the most important thing a large serving of breakfast at Thelmas. After breakfast I did the usual town things over in Big Bear Lake resupplied food, showered, and did laundry. The tour de california ended or was going through in Big Bear Lake today so the place was swarming with bicycle enthusiasts, none of which were fond of picking up hitchhikers.  After a hitch from a eccentric gold miner, yes they apparently still exist, from the hostel I showered at to the post office, I left town in the best vehicle I think I have ever flagged down. Leaving town in an old eight wheeled search and rescue military vehicle was quite awesome from a wonderful guy who replenishes water around the trail near Big Bear. I got back on the trail around 4:40 this afternoon hiked around nine miles and camped by a Caribou creek at mile 275. For dinner I packed out cheesy garlic bread from an Italian restaurant.....it was delicious. Today was a perfect day an the next few look to be as well. I'll try to keep this blog updated as much as I get service/until I get distracted but for the meantime enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment