Friday, September 13, 2013

Day 83 - The Worst Hitching Experience of Any Trail

September 9th
12 Miles
Cabin Down in Riverside

We woke up to rain coming down hard on the tent after a whole night of rain. There was a little bit of misting from the condensation on the inside of the tent which left me a little damp this morning. We waited out the rain until it tapered off and got to hiking. After a couple miles in the clouds we reached Bridger Peak at 11,008 feet and saw more cloud. Riveting I know. Continuing along we hiked down for a few miles along a dirt car trail and then up to the road where four tenths of a mile further up was Battle Pass where we could hitch into town. We arrived at the pass in the pouring rain and strong, annoying winds around 11:30 in the morning. It was cold and kind of wet. With the umbrella up only the bottom half of the left side of me got wet. The wind chilled my bones though and after about an hour of people driving by not giving two shits about the two cold wet potentially hypothermic hikers needing a ride to town, I decided to head to the parking area/bathrooms to put more clothes on because I figured it was going to take a while. We went back out to hitching an more cars drove past in pack of four or so every twenty minutes. Nobody stopped, slowed down, or cared even a tiny bit. Now I understand you don't want the inside of your car to get wet but its SEPTEMBER AND RAINING SIDEWAYS. I was hungry. I was cold. I was partially wet. And I grew evermore angry and pissed off for every car that past by us. Eventually spins went over to the bathroom to make hot tea because we were getting borderline hypothermic. I waited for two more trucks to pass by and not give a shit before heading over. Around ten minutes later a car pulls up to the rest stopish area and asks if we are ok. I told him yeah we are now that we have cover and something warm to drink but we've been standing out in the rain for, at this point close to under two hours waiting for a ride down to Encampment, wink wink nudge nudge but apparently the guy didn't get it and was like well if ya'll are alright have a safe hike...and drove off. My impatience was displayed irritatively on my sleeve and we we t back out to hitch. After another hour of soulless people diving by the rain ceased and a truck pulled up from a dirt road we didn't even know existed. He thankfully picked us up and took us down to town. His cabin was right down that dirt road and he was on a booze run for the night. When we got to town Panama and Beth had ready gotten a cabin do we split it with them and got food. I spent the rest of the night at the bar watching the Eagles beat up on the Redskins and tried my damnest to forget all of the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment