Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 10 - I Can See Clearly Now the Rain is Gone

June 28th
19ish Miles 
Burned Tree Area

Leaving East Glacier was an interesting experience as far as getting "on trail" was concerned. On trail meant go behind the East Glacier Lodge, cut onto the golf cart path in front of the first tee, hook a left onto a dirt road and make a right before a 'dilapidated' shed. This is the official CDT which is entertaining and the morning was spent hiking on dirt jeep roads with occasional mud pits in the Blackfoot Indian Reservation. When I reentered the park it became trail and after ten or so miles I was out of the park for good at Marias Pass where there was a campground and a wonderful camp host, Randy who gave us information on routes which were overgrown and general trail information for the next stretch. Spins and I both brought our ice axes due to information we got online a out snow in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. Randy said a trail worker made it from Benchmark Ranch and there was little to no on trail snow, crap. 

Today was the first day i was able to use my new prescription sunglasses and I LOVE them. All this time and all the miles I've hiked in slightly fuzzyland when I could have had sharp vision is disappointing but I'm glad to be able to see clearly especially far distances. The mountains and clouds in the distance look so much more defined and sharp! My sunglasses may have surpassed my umbrella for favorite piece of gear now!

Had dinner at the pass where we caught up to Panama, Beth, the dogs and Simon, a solo hiker from Britain. We all ended up camping together in a burn area for the night. A solid day out of town and the start of a long stretch to Lincoln. 

No comments:

Post a Comment