Thursday, June 27, 2013

Day 8 - Down and Out of Glacier

June 26th 
10 Miles
Brownies Hostel, East Glacier Park

The one fortunate thing about strong wind is its ability to dry things out really quickly. I awoke to a dry tent much to my surprise but still very windy conditions at Two Medicine Campground. My tent was fine all night in the wind thankfully and we took off with a ten mile stroll into East Glacier Park on the southeastern corner of Glacier National Park. I resupplied my food for the day at the campground store yesterday which consists of a can of Pringles and three packets of Grandmas Cookies(yay limited food selection!). I figured that'd last me ten miles worth of hiking. 

The hike in the morning was three miles up over 2000' to Scenic Point and then down seven miles out of the park to East Glacier. On the way up we saw two mangy mountain goats which was exciting and they ran down the hill gracefully away from us. The wind kicked our butts again as we went up though. More of the same wind trying to blow us off a cliff type scenario. It drizzled then rained then cleared up with a rainbow but the wind did not let up until we crossed over and descended into a rocky mountain lion-esc type environment which reminded me of part of the southern Californian desert on the PCT. Walking at the end of the park and seeing the sharp drop off of the mountains to the hills ahead of me was a awesome transitional geologic environment. From there we hooked onto jeep roads and followed them down into town where we popped out right next to the hostel where we stayed before we started our hike. I get my prescription sunglasses at the post office in town today(thanks mom!) and am so excited to see the world around me more sharply and polarized! Well time to stuff my face with food and beer. I will definitely be taking the day off tomorrow to take care of town chores and reflect on all the craziness of the past week. Up next on the CDT is the Bob Marshall Wilderness.





No comments:

Post a Comment