Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 3 - Cold but Beautiful Day

June 21st
7.9 Miles
Many Glacier

Yay it didn't rain last night!!! But damn it is cold this morning. With all the stream crossings at the end of yesterday, putting on my wet socks left my feet numb right off the bat this morning. It didn't matter though because the sun was rising and the clouds were minimal and friendly looking. 

The morning was a slight uphill in the woods which went by rather quickly and we took a nice rest at a lake. The suns warmth was more than welcomed for the first time in a few days. It was still really chilly out but was manageable when hiking. The rest of the day was mostly a decent into Many Glacier, a small corner of the park with a number of trailheads, a small restaurant and campstore, and the large historic Many Glacier Hotel. On the way down the ridge I saw my first grizzly from a comfortable distance. I was soo excited to have the opportunity to see it. I personally would have liked to see the grizz a little closer but it was awesome to be able to just see it roam around in its habitat grazing for food. The grizzly is the small brown dot in the picture I attached. 

Arriving at Many Glacier in the early afternoon Spins and I set up our site at a car camping campsite and b-lined it to the Italian restaurant for a large cheese pizza. We then did our resupply for the next stretch where I bought entirely too much food and them showered and did laundry. The day is winding down nicely and it ended with a nice small campfire and an early nights sleep. Tomorrow has a good bit of elevation, Piegan Pass to go up and around, and most likely a good bit of snow to traverse to a good nights sleep is in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment