Friday, October 5, 2012

Super Sketchy Night Hiking - Mile 2455.6 - 10/3

Another cold morning, the lake was covered in ice around it with mountain lion cub and momma mountain lion tracks ten feet from my tent which was reassuring...

Got to moving pretty quick and hiked all through the day. It was a little smoky something I'm really sick of at this point but it didn't affect the views. It was a good thing to because this northern cascade stretch is some of the most scenic hiking I've done since the Sierra's. With the fall weather comes shorter hours of sunlight and we found ourselves hiking into the night again. The whole night was ridgeline hiking on steep cliffs. Not to fun. Ontop of that there was a multitude of down trees to go over and under. Then we got to the river crossing. It was about 8:30 and all I saw was fast whitewater and boulders everywhere crap crap crap. The two options were ford through the water an it was way to cold to do that I don't want hypothermia and the other option was to jump over the water a decent distance from rock to rock. Well damn time get jumping haha and made it obviously otherwise I wouldn't be typing this up right now. After that fun adventure I had to hike another few miles to camp where it was just a tiny bit warmer than the night before but it made a heck of a difference. 20 more miles and I'll be in Skykomish tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment