Friday, August 3, 2012

Granite Chief Wilderness - Mile 1153 - 7/27

If there is one thing that's for certain out here, however many times in a row you do big mile days doesn't mean anything when it comes to waking up the next morning. Grumpy, sore, fatigued, dehydrated, and anti-motivated are words that fit the feelings I have in the morning when doing bigger miles. Luckily once I started hiking I reached the top of the ridge for once and got to hike ontop the ridgeline which was awesome! Usually I go up the ridge just to go right back down immediately and don't see much except the top from that high point but today I was lucky to hike up on the top of the mountains for most of the morning though the Granite Chief Wilderness which has multiple massive granite clifftops eroding within sight.(as well as cell towers and ski-resorts) Most of the morning was spent ontop and along the opposite side of the ski lifts. It was a cool area which was slightly forested but still open and exposed.

I hiked down the ridge around lunchtime and it wasn't long before I started to climb back up out of the valley again. I reached the top, passing by Granite Chief peak, just to go back down and up again snaking around Tinker Knob. Up there I was ontop of the ridgeline and exposed again. It was windy as hell up there (and with that cold) so I found a nice rock to use as a windbreak and stopped for a snack and waited for the others to catch up so we could figure out where to camp tonight. Well the potential spot was hard to find because the first potential area was a dud so we kept hiking another two miles or so to a decent area below one if the ski lifts. It was late and we hiked longer than we wanted so everyone was pretty spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment