Thursday, July 19, 2012

Wilma Lake and Hiking Confusion - Mile 988 - 7/16

Between the threat of mosquitoes and slightly cooler temperatures, the motivation to get out of ones sleeping bag and tent generally tends to lean towards the unmotivated side. Knowing that the first few miles are downhill made it a bit more inviting to sleep in a bit as well. After packing up slowly I took the ridge down in the morning and saw Benson Lake in the distance in the morning sun. When I got down to the bottom there was only one way to go...right back up!

My laziness in the morning put me behind Typo and Wolverine but I soon passed Typo as he was getting water and the Michigan Wolverine and I hiked up and over and followed the stream gradually down. Water was slightly limited and I missed the early source to meet up with Spins for lunch so I was going to push down to the bottom for lunch and figure she'd meet me there. Halfway down though I found a great source and stopped there figuring Spins and Typo would catch up for lunch; Wolverine motored onward. Twenty minute go by, then I took a nap, then over an hour passes and I thought to myself, well damn I know I don't hike that fast, I wonder what's up maybe the two of them stopped at the source before to eat.

Then Typo showed up. He didn't think that both Wolverine and myself was ahead of him because he didn't see us pass and that Spins thought I was behind her somewhere on the trail and was going to wait about a mile back for a bit then leave a note! So she asked Typo if he saw either of us and he said most definitely not and that he was certain both of us didn't pass, which was partially true he didn't see us pass because he was getting water. So I waited around another twenty or so minutes and Spins showed up saying that she figured I was ahead but Typo was certain I wasn't. Ah miscommunication at it's best.

We all ended up at the same place though, Wilma Lake which was infested with mosquitoes but a huge fire made it a little bit more tolerable. The Michigan Wolverine self-exiled himself near the lake because his snores are legendary. He was walking back to the fire from the lake and said that the fish were biting out there and seeing how I acquired a fishing rod, it was time to catch second dinner. Five minutes later I had a decent sized rainbow trout hooked, to the disbelief of others, an promptly killed and gutted it. The murder was recorded on Spins phone(as she put it). It was a pretty shoddy job due to the mosquitoes EVERYWHERE and a dull Swiss army knife. I fried up the trout in sesame oil over the fire and Wolverine and Typo took the first bites. Typo said it was too fishy for him and Wolverine ate the rest of that half. I munched down the other half and to be honest it was pretty good, if I had a better knife and less of a mosquito induced panic mode, I could have had a bit more of the filet cut but better luck next time. So I went to sleep covered in the scent of freshly cooked fish praying that I didn't get destroyed by a bear overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment