Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chickenspring Lake and Airplanes - Mile 651 - 6/25

It was cold and very windy and I still had the rest of the mountain to go up. I was not a happy camper! Luckily the day looked relatively flat...or so it seemed. I finished the mountain in my morning daze and headed to water, 3/10ths of a mike off trail. It was slightly downhill and led to an open meadow with a flowing spring. It was cold wonderful water and soaked in the sun for second breakfast. I hiked until a caravan of horses and donkeys passed by going south. Park service employees were hauling goods to another station. At the campsite/water shortly after a bunch of hikers were having lunch. One lady was particularly friendly and asked if I had a bear can which I replied that I did. She said good because she was with the park service and worked on implementing bear can discounts for PCT hikers. Her park service shirt was hidden under a sun shirt, very sneaky. Nonetheless I talked to her for a bit and headed up a mile to water and lunch.

After lunch I got some delicious spring water from Poison Meadow spring, strait out of the mountain at 10,800 feet, nope didn't treat it. Funny that the only water I didn't treat that day was from a spring named Poison Meadow. The end of the day was up to the official entrance of the Sierras, Cottonwood Pass, at just over 11,000 feet and .7 further camped at the beautiful Chickenspring Lake, surrounded by an retired mountain. Now I was having trouble with altitude adjustment but Spins was struggling even more. From Cottonwood Pass to the lake she got dizzy and disoriented to the point where a gust of wind blew her jacket open and she proclaimed "I'm a airplane!" the occasional psssshhhhhhh noise of liftoff would be followed by the lifting of her arms and trekking poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment