Thursday, June 21, 2012

Uranium Water - Mile 668 - 6/18

After my wonderful resupply from Lake Isabella I was excited to wake up and munch down some Entenmann's  donuts...a staple from childhood loaded with 150% my daily value of saturated fat...mmmm mmm. Took time getting up and hiked a solid amount of miles before taking a break. I landed back into the desert after descending from the mountains and it started to get a little hot. Luckily there was a spring (unfortunately a half mile of the trail) but when I finally got down there it was flowing nicely into a basin and most importantly it was cold. After treating it I checked the water report for the location and it said that there may be traces of uranium in the water from all of the mining that was done in the area. Of well nothing like trace metals in your water. Took lunch at the spring and continued onward until the next water location where I started going up the next big mountain and got a bunch more water and found the next camp spot which was a beautiful spot...except for the winds and mosquitoes. Set up my tent with a little difficulties because of the wind and finished the day early to be near water for the next day. Tomorrow I plan on hiking over two big inclines and doing around 20 miles so we'll see how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment