Thursday, June 21, 2012

Clint Eastwood - Mile 702.2 - 6/20-6/23

Woke up even more tired after such a big day yesterday but I was super excited because Kennedy Meadows was my destination for the day and it's only 13.5 miles away. Kennedy Meadows is a turning point in the trail; a junction between the end of the desert section and a start of the woods and the Sierra Nevada mountains. Needless to say I am absolutely stoked to finally be free of the long hot days in the blistering sun where water is scarce and so is shade. I have been dreaming of the days where snowmelt water fills my water bottles and I am surrounded by high elevation mountains and most importantly green things. The desert has some green things but they are a product of their environment, scraggly and sharp things are pervasive in the desert and it gives a almost hostile feel because its such and extreme environment. I'm not the biggest fan. Now the Sierras on the other hand, green things: trees, leaves, plants that are surrounded and live off of plenty of water, this is the environment I love. It's funny because I have an unhealthy obsession with Clint Eastwood westerns. I always saw the desert environment of the southwest in the backgrounds with the sun's heat distorting the view in the distant. That environment was foreign to me, I live in the Mid-Atlantic so as far as I was concerned the desert was an alien landscape. Well after hiking 700 miles surrounded by the desert, I can full heartily say that I need to watch those westerns again so I can get the real feel of the movie because I know now what this landscape offers and I am more than happy to be done with it. The desert was beautiful in its extreme way but I love mountains, mountains with trees and green things and I'm about to get right into the thick of them and couldn't be happier.

The thirteen and some odd miles into Kennedy Meadows went by quick they were downhill then mostly flat with a few bumps. It was hot as hell though and temperature got over 100 by midday when I arrived at the general store. I finally got to shower after 8 days and do laundry. I was gross...beyond gross even for my standards and it felt sooo nice to be clean. I received my packages from the store: a bearvault, a lot of food, and trail runners (shoes). Fitting all my food in the canister was a logistical task that I barely pulled off then fitting this massive plastic can into my pack with all my other gear was just as tricky. It didn't take long for me to get it all together though; stuffed some stuff here stuffed some stuff there and I can fit close to nothing else in my pack now. I filled it up with two liters of water and weighted it...43 pounds. I'm going to be moving a little slower in the Sierra's but I couldn't be happier to do so because its going to be some of the prettiest scenery on the whole trail. I then headed over to Tom's place down the road from the General Store and yet again I found my self in welcoming company with another wonderful and fantastic trail angel. Tom's Place has computers places to lounge outside, an outside theater with couches and a screen for movie night (every night haha), and best of all a large assortment of vintage trailers throughout the place to sleep in. Tom makes dinner and breakfast and treats you so kindly. This is the perfect place to shake the desert off and prepare for the mountain country. I may make it out of here today but its more than likely that I'll make it out tomorrow morning to start my way to the Sierra's. Now the Sierra's are quite remote and backcountry hiking so I won't have service to update most likely until the town Independence in roughly 7 days or maybe even later until Mammoth Lakes but be prepared because the pictures will be fabulous and breathtaking. I'll also be climbing Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the continental United States, no biggie!! For me this is where the trail gets really exciting. It will be really hard hiking with all the added weight and difficult terrain but damn will it be rewarding when I'm surrounded by the Sierra Nevada mountains and ontop on the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment