Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Day 111 - Coldest Night Yet

October 6th
15 Miles
Below Sargent Peak

This morning and past night was by far hands down the coldest it has been on trail. I woke up to the tent covered in frost, the bug netting covered in frost, and the non wet portion of my sleeping bag frosted. Chunks of ice floated in my water bottles and my socks were stuck in the potion I left then in last night. It took a bunch of effort to get up this morning. When I had the motivation to, I went to put on my shoes and couldn't! They were frozen solid and tight so my feet wouldn't fit in them. I slammed them in and after about a half hour of hiking they defrosted.

The majority of the morning was spent in the trees and snow as we hustled along up and down little hills. The view of afar was smaller mountains for once instead of larger mountains in the near future:
As we climbed again the trail got rockier but it wasn't anything to bad and we came along ridge cliff and followed that for a while giving way to views on the other side of the divide:
Lunch was low and in the sun which meant we were able to dry off our sleeping bags and I rolled out the tent, scooped out chunks of frosty snow and let that dry as well. This creek, which we followed for the next two miles, is the last water for twelve miles so we tanked up slightly up the hill and drudged our way up to the top of Sargent's Peak which was a gradual climb but tiresome with all the water weight nonetheless. Another quick two miles down put us at a saddle and 11,100ft which is the lowest spot we can find to camp for the night. We're nestled in trees so hopefully it will be a tad warmer then last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment