Friday, August 3, 2012

Damn You Fontanillis Lake - mile 1129.2 - 7/26

Woke up and started to climb over Dick's pass first thing in the morning. It was only forested until halfway up so the view was really nice. On the way up you can see Half Moon Lake and the mountain chain behind it as well as Aloha Lake which I hiked passed before it got dark yesterday. I met a nice couple section hiking at the top and snacked. I headed down the mountain quickly and was stopped by huge rock outcrops on Fontanillis Lake. The lake water felt to terribly cold so I climbed up to one of the big rock outcrops and jumped off it into the lake. I was sooo wrong, it was absolutely freezing and swam as quickly to the shore as possible after letting out a howl of freezingness in the water. After the shock of the cold ass water finally wore off something felt different. I looked at my wrist and my leather PCT wristband was missing. Shit shit shit it fell off in the water. I ran up on the rocks again and looked down to the water to see if I could spot it....nothing, no trace and the wind made the water choppy so the visibility was crap. I've had this wristband since Idylwild, so for over 1000 miles. Because I couldn't see the wristband i sure as hell was not getting back into that freezing cold water again and looking around. So I pressed on for the rest of the day slightly more down having lost something with a good bit of sentimental value and kept hiking until around dusk. The campsite was nice though, there was a view of of Lake Tahoe to the left while tucked in a ravine and having leftover s'mores made it a nice ending to the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment